This past weekend I went to go visit my good friend Amanda, who is a grad student at Baylor.I met Amanda way back when I worked at that children's church camp back in college in 03. I hadn't seen her since 05, so it had been awhile. So as soon as I knew I was moving to SA we planned on hanging out sometime. Waco is little less than 3hrs from me. Traffic was pretty busy all the way up there and back. From having to go through SA, Austin, and Waco there's not much of a break from heavy traffic. While in Waco, mainly got the tour of Baylor and of the city of Waco. Waco really seemed like it was out of the middle of no where especially for a Division I college. In case there are some President Bush supporter's reading this, his big ranch is only about 15 outside of Waco. All in all I had good visit, was good to get away.



Above: For breakfast I made some strawberry/banana crepes w/cool whip..HMMM!!

Above: The Baylor mascots

Above: Baylor's mascot, the bears. Apparently their mascot is not just made up, it actually is a live bear. There mascots Joy and Lady have their own little enclosed habitat on campus. There are some people who take care of them. For football games they are at the games. They weren't there this weekend, so just had to take a pic of their personal billboard.


Above: Just thought this was a good pic of the little brook that runs through the campus

Above:One of the really pretty old historical buildings, used to be a dorm room back in the day. A story regarding the statue behind me: Burleson is the name of the guy behind me. If you look closely you will see he's holding a hat, in the hat there's nothing just a hole. Back in the day those brave and daring students would purposely start a small fire in the hat only. Then call the fire dept and tell them that Burleson was on fire. So the fire dept would coming rushing thinking that the Burleson building was burning, but come to find out above arrival the students meant that the statue Burleson was on fire. Obviously fires aren't a joke, but it became a very big prank to do.



Above: The Baylor Seal. Amanda told me to step on it and talk, just looked at w/a confused look. When you stand on it, you hear your voice echo. Apparently, there are 3 spots campus where that happens.

Above: There's a light on top that always shines white. Anytime Baylor wins a game the lights turn green and gold, the school colors.


Above: The founding father of Baylor. Is a Baylor tradition for every college graduate to climb up in his lap to take a photo. Since I look so small, you can imagine how big the statue really is.

Above: Another silly/corny Baylor tradition for first time Baylor students. You go buy a package of 50tortillas from the store. Stand on the bridge at night and try to fling them as if they were frisbees and see how many you can get to land on the big stone pillar out in the water. Amanda said most people may thing that's a sign of boredom or something, but the traditions seems to continue each year.

Above 2 photos: Amanda tells me this one of the biggest suspension bridges West of the
Mississippi
2 Comments:
Regarding the talking while on the seal. . .maybe it's haunted. And as for the corn tortillas, at least they are cheap. I'm glad you had a good time and were safe on that awful stretch of highway.
Mom
I know how you love to see and experience new things--glad to see that you have stayed in touch with old friends. See you soon!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home