Katie

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Wild Hog Festival: Year 2

Above: In the background is the eggroll. That one won 1st place. Another good one is the stuffed pasta shell. Wild hog cooked in a good italian sauce then stuffed in the shells. We didn't have that dish last year.

Above: This one was quite yummy too. Wild hog thinly sliced layered with cream cheese and jalapenos then rolled up and grilled. The best part was no greasiness to it at all.

Above: This the judges room. We're all allowed to have alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks while eating. Are given lemon slices and bread to cleanse our palettes. The dishes are ranked by taste, texture, aroma, tenderness scale of 1-5. 5 being the best.


Above: A cooked wild hog head...meant to rotate the pic.

Above: Every year I go I be sure to try something new. Last year it was the wild hog and menudo as a first. This year I tried wild hog cheek wrapped in a tortilla...hmmm..was so juicy. I would eat it again.

Above: The cute very stinky hogs. The before photo...

Above: The mid-prepatory phase

Above: Ahh...the poor hog...ending of the hog :( .....The guys who were roasting it let me baste it. Last years roasting pig was quite smaller...this years was pretty fat.

Above: While his friend are busy slaving over a stove; their fellow cook is taking a morning nap. I finally met someone else besides Uncle Wingo who can sleep in any position.

Above: Everyone is drinking before noon. So you'd be a loser not to drink; have to fit it :)

Above: For those who don't cook the hog for the judging decorate their area for the decorating contest.

March is wild hog festival time. Went with my Texas parents down to Cotualla, TX for the annual wild hog cook-off. I love doing it; is always so much fun. Enjoy good food and lots of fun. We are all judges for the wild hog. Usually get there around 8ish am. Walk around looking at vendors who selling things and hanging out with their friends. The judging starts at 12pm...takes us about an 1 1/2 to try about 60 dishes or so. Last year it was so rainy, dreary, and cold. This year was such perfect weather; sunshine and 85 degree weather. The best hog dish we had was the wild hog eggroll. I hope to make it to hog cook off next year again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous patsy said...

Yes, not only can he sleep in any position, he can sleep with people all around him! I wouldn't like the idea that people can see me. Sounds like a fun day!

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home