King William District
The King William area was originally farmland, irrigated by acequias flowing from the San Antonio River, owned by the 1718 Mission San Antonio de Valero. By the beginning of the 19th century, the missions were fully secularized, and the land belonging to Mission Concepcion was bought, sold, and divided into tracts by land speculators, beginning in the 1840’s. One of the earliest to settle was Carl Guenther, a German immigrant who built Pioneer Flour mill on the lower bend of the San Antonio River. A number of other successful and influential German immigrants discovered the area and began building mansions, using Greek Revival, Victorian, and Italiante architectural styles. Ernst Altgelt, the first to build on current-day King William Street, is credited with naming his street after King Wilhelm I of Prussia.In later years, the neighborhood fell into decline. In the 1960s, creative young professionals rediscovered the King William area and began a renaissance, which continues to this day.

2 Comments:
So sad that the days of porches are gone. Before a/c we would sleep outside on a screened porch and spend much of the day on the porch. Oh well, there I go showing my age. Love the pictures and you!
Since I don't like sun, water, or sand, I'll make my comments on the historical stuff. I love history, and am now wanting to get back to S.A. so that you can take me to see those lovely old houses and churches. Beautiful!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home