Katie

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mini Vacation: Back to AZ



This past weekend I had a nice 4 day weekend. I decided to visit my past home Tucson, AZ. I forgot just how much I miss it sometimes. It was so nice to see the mountains, the weather was great (sure miss that dry heat), and a beautiful environment. The weather was 75-85 degrees with NO humidity...it was great!! I stayed with my good friend Travis. We did lots of catching up, lots of laughs, lots of relaxing, went to many of my favorite restaurants, met up with some other friends, even went to somewhere I had never been. We went to the famous Titan Missile Museum; was very interesting reading about the Cold War history. This is where the Titan II the largest missile in the US history was based during the Cold War. Was later deactivated during President Reagan's years, then turned into a national museum. So all in all my trip was great....I definitely did not want to come back to Texas.






Above: Me and Travis went to one my favorite places to eat. We went to Frog&Firken; a very popular British hangout by the University of Arizona campus. They have the BEST pizza; mom and dad can agree with me on that.



Above: So I couldn't leave with out having the famous Sonoran hotdog; the best hot dog ever. The only time I will eat a hot dog. If I ever decide to high cholesterol I am going to do so my eating these. Mom and dad again can agree with me on how good these were. Since I have left though, the owner now has two more locations. Both on better sides of town. The one I went to was the bad side of town. So mom and dad---you can see how much of an upgrade this is from the one I took you too. The inside it completely air conditioned not as ghetto as the other one. But the food tasted just as good!!


Above: Travis took to CAT because I wanted to see what new products are being tested and researched. This one is already out on the market; but it I did get to see some huge equipment that is not out of the market yet. Currently being tested. I still get over how big the tire is. So the part I'm standing in front is the front part of the machine and the picture above is the back part of the machine...crazy uh??


Above: An aerial view of how they built the site that holds the Titan II. They dug the ground out like a gigantic bathtub; placed everything then built the ground back up after that. The big hole on the right is the silo where the Titan II missile is placed.


Above: For the history buffs in the family, I took a picture of the basic history of the Titan II. Rather than me having to type, you can just read it.


Above: The underground control room area and the area that holds the missile was enclosed by three big doors that weigh 6,000 pounds each.

Above: Me in thecommander chair in the control room touching the key that ignites the missile.

Above: This long iron corridor leads to the Titan II missile.

Above: The underground view of the missile

Above: I took this picture for dad. This a video clip from a Star Trek scene in 1995. Star Trek used to film many scenes at Tital Missile museum. They are entering the level where the missile sits.
Above: A video clip when they did a test lauch of the missile

Above: The video clip of when the had to detroy the silo area which holds the missile


Above: This picture is for mom. Mom always commented on how AZ has some of the prettiest highway overpasses due to all the beautiful colors they used to decorate them. Where Travis lives they have the prettiest bus stop benches and trash cans. All the benches and trashcans were all decorated with beautiful western themes and colors. All made out of solid stone and beautiful tile. I want that bench at my place....I might me be more inclined to take the public bus if all benches looked like that maybe?......


Above: How pretty and relaxing to just look at uh?............

3 Comments:

Anonymous Mom said...

You guys must have been on the run non stop to have done all those things in 4 days! I KNEW you'd go to Frog & Firkin and tell me about it and I'd be jealous. Shame on you. Sounds like you had a blast.

4:27 AM  
Anonymous patsy said...

Great pictures, Katie! It is a beautiful area. I'm sorry that I was able to make only one trip there while you lived there.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Natalee Creech said...

Every time I read your blog you're talking about good food and it makes me hungry!

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home