
This summer I did a mini internship in the BAMC (Brook Army Medical Center) burn unit. I found out that occupational therapist can work with burn patients. Before applying to graduate school in OT you are suppose to internships in different field specialties to helpe give you exposure. BAMC a level 1 burn trauma center. It's one of the best burn units in the country. I got see very interesting cases; things I never got to see in any of my other internships. Many of the things I've seen in medical books or movies; but to see it in person is very different. I saw everyfrom from first degree to third degree burns. The most exciting part is I got to go into a operating room and watch some surgeons operate on ampuating an arm. I got to see the muscle, fat, and bones and lots of blood of course; it was so cool to see. Again you see it in movies/tv/books; but to see it in person is crazy cool. Luckily, my stomach handled seeing it perfectly fine. It's been one of my favorite internships I've done.

Above: This is the Center of the Intrepid, next to BAMC.
Purpose of this facility: Roughly 20,000 soldiers injured since the start of the Iraq war, more than 500 have lost a limb — many of them in roadside bombings. A $50 million high-tech rehabilitation center opened that is designed to serve the growing number of soldiers who return from war as amputees or with severe burns. Guests attending the ceremony included
United States Senators John McCain and
Hillary Rodham Clinton. The structure was financed entirely by private donations. Over 600,000 people contributed to the $50 million construction cost.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home