Katie

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Here hoggy, hoggy! : Cotulla, TX

Above: Kirsten and her husband Clay. Me and her husband shared that yummy funnel cake. Think I have decided if I ever decide to gain 50lbs or so I'm going to do so by eating funnel cakes all the time. They're just so yummy and so unhealthy..but oh so worth it......mmmmm!!



So a few weeks ago I went down to South Texas to visit my friend and her husband. We all went to Cotulla, TX; is about 2hrs from San Antonio. Every year Cotulla has a county fair with food, rides, games, and the best part a Wild Hog cookoff. Apparently wild hogs are run wild in south Texas. My friend, her husband, and their friends are judges every year. The local people arrive the very early of the cookoff and spend hours cooking their dish. Then at noon, we the judges are the tasters. Every entry is anonymous; we rate the food by taste, aroma, tenderness, etc. We rate it from 1-5, 5 being outstanding. I normally hate pork/pig stuff; but wild hog I like. It wasn't as greasy and had a different taste. We tried everything from carne asade dishes, ribs, wild hog egg rolls, etc. You name it, we tried it. By the end we had tried over 60 wild hog dishes. The best one was the wild hog egg rolls; I still crave one of those. Also, that day I tried menuedo for the first. That is typical mexican soup that has ominey, onions, pig parts, and pig feet. It's well-known for curing a hang over very quickly; never have tried that theory though. The weekend in Cotulla very cold, rainy, and dreary. But all in all it was such a fun weekend; a once a lifetime experience.


Above: the wild hogs before......

Above: the wild hog after......poor little hoggy

Above: this is my favorite photo....not every day I get see this

Above: many of the people and their smokers cooking their hog dishes

Above: Our judges table. To cleanse the palette, in between dishes we would have a piece of lemon or bite of bread.

Above: Every year as judge you can a wooden plaque has a prize for judging and cookbook. The theme is different every year. It's so cute!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Mom said...

I would have had several funnel cakes and passed on the pig.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous patsy said...

Oh Katie, looks as if you are getting to experience all types of activities!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Natalee Creech said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! The egg rolls sound good too.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home